22 February 2008

Carlsberg Vintage No. 1






So I must have been sleeping on the job when I missed the notice that Carlsberg, brewers of Denmark's version of Heineken, is offering a specialty beer for sale in their home country.

"How special?" you ask. How's about $400 for a 375 mL bottle special for a reserve brew called Carlsberg Vintage No. 1. This dwarfs the nearest competition, Sam Adams Utopias, by a clear margin (Utopias averaged about $200 for a 750 mL upon release). The beer is aged in French and Swedish oak casks, and is available only at the brewery and in specially selected restaurants.

I like craft beer as much as the next guy, but $400 for about 12 ounces seems a touch excessive to me. Maybe I could go in on it with about 20 other friends and we could each take a small sip. What does anybody else think? Is this a product of our flailing economy, an example of shrewd marketing or a ridiculous ploy to make the folks at Carlsberg rich?

No comments: