21 March 2007

I need to get a foodlife














While careening around the Magnificent Mile yesterday, I stumbled upon a new restaurant in the Water Tower mall. I came in today with the intention of dining there.

The first picture snapped drew an adamant chew out from the staff. It was so rude that I was turned off and decided not to order from Wow Bao. Wow Bao serves hot stuffed Asian buns. It also seems to be an extension of the foodlife court upstairs.

I did order a pomegranate ginger tea from Wow Bao. I decided that their decision to disallow my photography would send my business upstairs to foodlife (which is owned by the same people--Lettuce Entertain You). The staff was equally opposed to my camera work.

Granted, it is perfectly within the rights of an establishment to ban photography, even if it is in the middle of a tourist tar pit. Shutterbug tourists might in fact have annoyed a past Lettuce Entertain You
customer. Protecting your property is well within your legal rights.

Of course, I am perfectly within my rights to call foodlife the World's Most Expensive and Overblown Shopping Mall Food Court. Writing that sentence is protected by the First Amendment. I am also protected by the privilege of fair comment. Libel would also be a bit of a stretch, as calling foodlife overpriced mall food is a completely true statement. The total cost was $12 for a stir fry and small drink.

The court features numerous different cuisines and food items like any other mall eatery outpost. The staff was very helpful minus the cameraphobic management. The Thai stand worker told me the tofu pad Thai is not vegetarian and suggested the stir fry joint. The stir fry was big and relatively good if slightly overpriced. You choose the vegetables and sauces, which include a rich vegan mushroom broth.

Enjoy the pictures in the link below and steer clear of foodlife and Bow Wow Wow if you have a camera or are located next to a Subway or other fast food joint that might save you a couple of bucks.



foodlife

No comments: