11 March 2007

Free Concert at OU -- So That's Where My Taxes Are Going!

The Wrens say everyone chooses sides. Here's me trying to be a little less biased.





Last night, I decided to go to the free ACRN show at the newly renovated and utterly spectacular Baker Center. ** This group has put on some good shows throughout my year in the Appalachian wilderness. I saw the Mountain Goats last year with dear friend and fellow Ohio University grad student Anne Corrigan. I was also shut out of the ACRN Girl Talk show at my favorite spot for imported micros, margaritas and tofu and seasonal vegetable burritos Casa Nueva. In future, ACRN should host all artists that have been fellated by Pitchfork at larger venues like the Big Bad Baker. That's my friendly advice.


But back to
the Wrens. Enjoy this lovely acoustic video of the Wrens as a bit of background material, replete with Cap'n Crunch percussion and vocal harmonies in order to get you familiar with that one Wrens song you know but couldn't quite name.




The opening bands were hometown favorites Southeast Engines (caught the last 15 minutes. My analysis is...ehhh. Some things are better left unsaid.), As Tall as Lions and the Dear Hunters. But I'm not there to see those wankers. I had dinner provided to me by fellow social scientist Zach Thomas so I could have the energy to last through the Wrens. We grabbed some seats and enjoyed the set, which lasted a pinch over an hour. It ended around midnight. A multimedia link is hosted below.

Wrens

The set was very good. Their weird enough that the pop elements of the music weren't too much for my delicate musical palate. There was loads of unintentional feedback at first, and they couldn't get the vocal mics straight for the first bit. But as the set went on, the vehicle was shifted into overdrive. This was the best zero bucks I spent all quarter. But why take my word for it? Check the video clips in my photo album, or enjoy some of the links below so it seems like I'm not just completely wasting my time here.



Here is a lovely video of "Everyone Chooses Sides" that I saw.


Here's more video for your graphic pleasure.



You thought that's all there was? Guess again!


At certain points, the concert was so out of control that the band was actually jumping around. I kid you not. Here is the proof.



The OU Percussion Ensemble also provided backing percussion with hand claps and water bottle polyrhythm.




And it ain't a rock show if the band doesn't start tossing guitars around like their A&R has the instruments insured.




The encores continued the craziness.



And for the love of god, is there anything on this Earth that makes a guitar cooler than a vocoder?













































































































1 comment: