22 July 2008

Don Patron


Don Patron is a vibrantly-shaded, Americanized Mexican restaurant in New Albany. The decor is a festival of bright primary colors. The menu is equally basic. But the food at Don Patron is a little better quality than the neighborhood cookie cutter Mexican eatery.

Don Patron also features margaritas in many sizes and flavors. The mango margarita was delicious, as was the margarita on the rocks.

The chips and salsa were mostly indistinguishable from any other restaurant of this type. The veggie quesadilla had large chunks of squash, zucchini, tomato, onion and mushroom in a giant grilled flour tortilla. It came with an array of rice, guacamole and sour cream to top the cheesy tortilla.

I really wanted to try the breaded eggplant with a side of black beans and cactus (el Rodeo) but the kitchen was out of the item. Maybe next time. The vegetarian items are labeled on the menu.

In terms of Central Ohio's Mexican restaurant hierarchy, I rate Don Patron above El Vaquero and Las Margaritas but below that of Cuco's. The decor is busy but fun. The menu is interesting and has plenty of vegetarian options.



Don Patron

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in New Albany and I like Don Pablo's ok, but have you tried Fiesta Jalisco up on 161 and Cleveland? I like them better still.

deraj1013 said...

I've driven past them, but I've never eaten there, no. I'll have to check it out. This review was also about Don Patron, not Don Pablo's.