02 October 2008

Dragonfly Street Food



I just read the newsletter, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a Dragonfly street food take-out concept might be the greatest idea I've heard in my natural born life.

From the release:

AFTER A YEAR OF TRIAL AND TRAVEL DRAGONFLY OWNERS SET TO RELEASE STREET FOOD CONCEPT - 1/2 PRICE WINE POURS FOR YOUR FEEDBACK

This weekend we begin testing our street food bar menu, to be featured at the bar and our re-launched new venue next door to Dragonfly - ON THE FLY street food carry-out and provisions. It's another way to enjoy Dragonfly's amazing food.


Let's face it every chef secretly wants to cook street food and Dragonfly chef Magdiale Wolmark is doing it after carefully studying and dissecting the world's most famous street food fare. It's tough work, but he had to do it. From his famous hometown Philly cheesesteak to classic Latin American Empanadas to stuffed falafel pitas, Dragonfly is getting ready to unleash a storm of satisfying flavors that truly expresses where great food begins. It's delicious belly filling global plates that you can enjoy everyday at super good prices.


Tough economy news got you blue? We have the cure - delicious dishes from one of the cities most accomplished kitchens and wine specials to match.


-----

Oh trust me--I will take liberal advantage of this new service. I might not make the preview event, but I see a falafel sandwich in my not-so-distant future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a little confused - is the street food venture going to be vegetarian like Dragonfly is? If so, how are they going to pull off Philly cheesesteaks?

deraj1013 said...

It will probably be vegan (no animal products) like Dragonfly rather than ovo-lacto vegetarian (milk and eggs are ok). I don't imagine he is going to change his approach in the take-out joint. I'll probably stop down this weekend to check it out.

Vegan Philly cheesesteak is typically made from seitan, which is wheat protein. Seitan is used in vegetarian cooking to mimic beef, and it is easy to cut into pieces for dishes like veggie cheesesteaks, reubens, BBQ sandwiches, et al. It is high in protein.

Tip Top used to make a faux Italian beef with seitan, and I still think they have seitan cheesesteaks. Obviously the carnivorously inclined diners might not jump up and down for seitan, but I will.